Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Snell EII

Another Craigslist purchase. These were all original but the Vifa woofer surrounds were totally rotted~dust. I happened to have a pair of replacement woofers for my Snell JIV's, which didn't sound good at all in them. After speaking with a tech at Snell (yup still servicing) I was told that I should have received new inductors with the JIV replacement woofers... Oh. Anyway they were sitting in the closet and were very similar to the EII Vifa's so I popped them into the EII's and had me a listen.

To my surprise they sounded surprisingly good! It makes me wonder if this replacement Seas is mostly based off the "E" design as it was a pretty popular speaker for Snell. Who knows, but they sound great. Worst part is they could still be wrong, as the Bass is a bit "boomy". But even then, an overall pleasure, and I can't really find any major issues going on at the crosspoint. Smooth and the most "listenable" speaker I've owned. Great for everything especially Jazz. A bit confusing on classical but that could be a source of mismatching amongst other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment